Friday, October 15, 2010

Special food for my special boys

It has been a very hectic few weeks for us, hence my blogging absence (although I don't seem to be a diligent blogger anyways).

Part of the reason has been a small home-renovation that's been going on, but more so all the party preparation for Little Man's 1st birthday in a couple of weeks.  It's now in full-swing and I hope to find a minute to upload some photos next week to show where I'm up to (and perhaps get a bit of advice...).

In the meantime I am busy busy busy testing out new recipes.  You see although Big Man has some food allergies, we've known about these for a while and have been able to make the necessary changes at home with minimal fuss.  When it comes to parties it's his allergy to dairy that causes a little strife as almost all sweets have dairy in them, as do pastries, biscuits and many savoury crackers. 

Since starting our Little Man on solids we've noticed the same symptoms appear as those in our Big Man, except there seem to be more foods that trigger them in Little Man.  And now that we know that Big Man is anaphylactic we have been extra cautious this time around.

Our current no-go list is as follows:

(Are you ready for it...)
Egg white
Egg yolk
Dairy Milk
Soy Milk
Goat's Milk
Sheep's Milk
Fish
Crustaceans
Bananas
Peanuts
Tree nuts

As it is absolutely essential for Little Man to have some cake at his own party I have been on a frantic search of egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free cakes and sweets.

I've started with testing out some of my own recipes and simply replacing butter with dairy-free spread, and using egg replacer for the egg.  I've stuck to recipes that use liquids other than milk such as cocoa for chocolate cake, coconut milk for coconut vanilla cupcakes and all have been as delicious as they were before.  My taste-testers couldn't even tell the difference!  

I'm really pleased with the results and can't wait to show you the final party product!

Have a lovely weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mira,
    Thank you for always leaving such lovely, heartfelt and honest comments on my blog, Lisa and Mini G - they mean a lot to me!
    I have noticed you are planning a party for one of your little men, how exciting! I hope that the recipes you are trying turn out well for you, it is tricky working around allergies when entertaining children!
    I have another blog where I share event inspiration, not sure if you have seen it?
    www.joyandme.com.au
    Thank you again, look forward to hearing more about the special party!
    x Lisa.

    ReplyDelete