Thursday, October 28, 2010

My day off!

The story continued...

I spent the night tossing and turning and delusional with a fever.  By morning, the fever had passed and there was still no sign of any new contractions so I was moved from the labour ward to the maternity ward.  Those wonderful midwives made sure to give me one of the rooms furthest from all the mummies who already had their babies.  And what a wonderful thing, because the entire day passed uneventfully, waiting for labour to start up again after a hormone was administered after breakfast.  By this point I was impatient and frustrated and so so disappointed at not having met my baby yet.

My gorgeous boys visited that afternoon with their grandparents and then went home with Nan for the night.  The MOTH stayed with me until visiting hours were over then went home to rest.

Within 30 minutes of him leaving I felt the first contraction, although this time it was down low the way it should be.  It was followed pretty quickly by another, then another.

I picked up the phone and called the MOTH to tell him the exciting news but he got annoyed with me and said it would still be hours.  He was off to bed.

When my midwife came in to check on me I told her about the contractions and she too got a little annoyed.  Said she would come back in an hour to check on me and wanted to hear that I'd had at least 5 in that time.

Well, I did!  Probably more like 20!  I asked for a hot pack and she did a wonderful job of making me feel comfortable as I settled in to labour quietly for the night.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment